I’m back with the finished top; here are my notes about the rest of the process.
I’ve extended the back shoulder seam line on the pattern, and used my curve ruler to match the outer edge of the sleeve. (I keep calling it a sleeve; it’s more of a dropped shoulder, but you know what I mean.) You can also see through the paper that I marked the location for a dart (two short lines on either side of a longer line perpendicular to the shoulder seam.) When I sew up the top with a dart, I’ll drape the pattern piece on my dress form, angling it towards the bust point, and deciding on the length at that time.
For now I’ve chosen to sew the top with a tuck, and to leave the back sleeve the original length. You can see the tuck in this close-up:
The finished top is looser than I would like, so I may remove one of the inches I added to my bodice front. The fabric drapes nicely, a cuddly, cotton-bamboo blend French terry. It’s a little sheer in this off-white color, so you’ll have to admire it on Duplicate O’Neill instead of me, but maybe I’ll remember to model the next one.
As for finishing the edges, I just folded them over as per the instructions, using my coverstitch set to narrow. I did find with this fabric being so light, it made a better stitch to sew just beneath the edge of the fabric instead of catching the edge between the rows of stitching. I also used a bit of stay tape in the shoulder back neck seams for stability.
Now I just need to pick a fabric for my next muslin – I certainly have several to choose from!
3 thoughts on “Altering a Pattern – Knit Tops, Part 2”
Great notes! Looks nice. I love the tuck on the shoulder.
I wish someone would name their real human baby Duplicate. Loved reading your alterations process. Looking forward to the next muslin.
Thanks Samina! I hope to have another one done soon. That would be funny, Baby Duplicate… we could call them Cate for short….