Well here we are, finally at the other end of a home renovation; whew! That was long; it’s always too long, even when it ends on time – and of course, they never do!
But as promised, the tie-backs for my kitchen curtains. In an earlier post, I mentioned that I was cutting the extra yardage off the panels from the plain end, instead of the patterned end. I did this so I could decorate the tie-backs. Initially I thought to use the patterned end, but I realized I had an opportunity to gussy them up a bit, so chose the plain instead.
I added a bit of trim to the edges of my tie-backs. I used my Sashiko machine to couch variegated yarn onto the edge. You actually do this in the flat – you don’t have to try and sew on the edge! Then once the trim is on, you can fold your fabric and sew it up.
For these tie-backs, I didn’t have enough to do a full fabric backing, but that’s ok, it wasn’t really necessary. I stabilized them with Pellon Decor Bond (#809) so that they will hold their shape and stay smooth and full. I then folded the edges under and topstitched them down.
Then I added these little plastic rings (you can find them in the draperies notions department) to attach them to the wall hooks.
Et voilà, much better looking curtains! You can see in the photo below, tying them with string gives a very crushed, bunched look; using a tie-back allows the curtains to drape nicely.
Have a great week and see you at the next post…